The GENMEDA General Assembly annual meeting of 2022 was held in Cagliari, Sardinia, 28 September 2022, along with a series of other events involving GENMEDA members, all organised by the University of Cagliari - Hortus Botanicus Karalitanus (HBK). The other events were the BESTMEDGRAPE project International Conference, the ceremony to celebrate the 25 years of the Sardinian Germplasm Bank (BG-SAR) and the SEEDFORCE project workshop. The GENMEDA meeting took place with both physical and on-line participation of a total of 39 participants. The current network activities, member activities and projects, and future prospects were presented and discussed.
GENMEDA General Assembly meeting of 2022 highlights
Arrangements in progress for future events:
- The 4th Mediterranean Plant Conservation Week (4MPCW) is organised by two GENMEDA members, the Centre for Forestry Research and Experimentation (CIEF) of the Valencian Region and the Botanical Garden of the University of Valencia (JBUV). It is proposed to take place at the Botanical Garden of Valencia, 23-27 October 2023. The main proposed topic is to link species conservation - ex situ and in situ - with a broader systemic approach closer to the principles of ecological restoration. To date the Organising Committee is formed by GENMEDA members CIEF, JBUV, IUCN, MAICh and HBK. See here about the past Mediterranean Plant Conservation Weeks.
- The next GENMEDA annual meeting will be organised by the CIEF and held in conjunction with the 4MPCW in Valencia, October 2023.
- GENMEDA has been invited to organise a session on ex situ conservation at the XX International Botanical Congress in Madrid, 21-27 July 2024.
- The Botanical Garden of Rome, Sapienza University of Rome (BGR), GENMEDA member, is organising the X EUROGARD Congress (European Botanic Gardens Congress) that will take place in Rome in 2025.
The 3 GENMEDA Associate members since 2021 become numerary members and 2 more institutions become new Associate members, increasing the number of GENMEDA members to 27.
New numerary members:
• IUCN/SCC – Mediterranean Plant Specialist Group (MPSG), Switzerland
• Botanical Garden of Rome , Sapienza University of Rome (BGR), Italy
• Tuscia Germplasm Bank - University of Tuscia (TGB), Italy
New Associate members :
• International Association of Mediterranean Forests (AIFM)
• Sicilian Plant Germplasm Repository of the University of Palermo (SPGR/PA), Italy