The General Assembly annual meeting of GENMEDA took place at CIHEAM-MAICh, Chania, Crete on 27 September 2021. It was a “hybrid” meeting with 17 persons participating physically and another 21 virtually. This meeting took place in combination with the 3rd Mediterranean Plant Conservation Week (3MPCW), 27 September - 1 October 2021, which was co-organised by the GENMEDA team.
A plaquette was offered to Antoni Marzo, recently retired delegate of CIEF, for his contribution to the establishment and progress of the GENMEDA network.
Some ongoing projects involving GENMEDA members were presented: MEDLENTISK, BESTMEDGRAPE, a new LIFE project in Spain: Conservation and restoration of relict Taxus baccata woods in the Valencian Region, the SIMASEED Project, and others.
The 4 Associate members become numerary members and 3 more institutions become new Associate members, increasing the number of GENMEDA members to 25.
New numerary members:
- Botanical Garden of Hamma (JEH), Algeria
- Institute of Mediterranean & Forest Ecosystems-Hellenic Agricultural Organization "DEMETER" (FRIA-HAO "DEMETER"), Greece
- RIBES network (the Italian network of seed banks), Italy
- Natural History Museum Rijeka (NHMR), Croatia
New Associate members :
- IUCN/SCC – Mediterranean Plant Specialist Group (MPSG)
- Orto Botanico dell’Università di Roma “La Sapienza”
- Seed Bank of Tuscia, Italy
GENMEDA elections took place after a term of 4 years. The newly elected representatives are:
- President: Gianluigi BACCHETTA (HBK)
- Secretary/Treasurer: Adamantia KOKKINAKI (MAICh)
- Steering Committee members: Lara DIXON (CBNMed), Emilio LAGUNA (CIEF), Sara MAGRINI (RIBES), Joseph BUHAGIAR (DBUM), Boštjan SURINA (NHMR), Evangelia DASKALAKOU (FRIA).
Emilio Laguna, CIEF representative, holds the honorary plaquette presented to him by GENMEDA President, Gianluigi Bacchetta (left), for the contribution of Antoni Marzo (right) to GENMEDA.