The experience acquired from CARE-MEDIFLORA serves as a foundation for a new 3-year project to protect threatened plants of Crete: “Development of a methodology for the enhancement and protection of populations of endangered plant species in Crete. Pilot implementation in the Prefecture of Chania”.
- Development of the methodology for addressing the short and long term needs for conservation of endangered plant species and expanding the relevant scientific knowledge
- Contribution to the conservation of threatened plant species in the Prefecture of Chania inside and outside the natural environment
- Raising awareness, training and development of collaborations among competent bodies for the conservation of biodiversity
- Application and harmonization of criteria for the elaboration of conservation priorities for endangered plant species in the Prefecture of Chania
- Investigation of the best methodology for reinforcement/reintroduction of natural populations of selected endangered plant species
- Ex situ conservation of germplasm of endangered plant species – Study of the ecophysiology of seeds
This project is implemented by MAICh in collaboration with the Decentralised Administration of Crete - Forest Directorate of Chania.
Duration: January 2020 - December 2022
Source of funding : Green Fund, National Funding Programme “Protection and Upgrading of Forests 2019”, Priority Axis 7 "Applied Research"